Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Self Love in the Arms of Yoga?

I don't know that yoga has arms. I have arms, that I use to do yoga with... :) And for last night's yoga session I set an intention for 'self love' (after I reminded myself to SIMPLIFY my intention...)

Something about having really long intentions is a misfit for me. I like to be able to remember them quickly and accurately. They hold more power. So instead of "my intention is to release..., nope wait, I've been releasing a lot lately, let's bring something in. My intention is to bring in, no, open to more experiences, no STOP! Keep it simple. OK self love. My intention is to have self love." And then I was able to let my mind attach things to it. Self love in my yoga practice tonight, in every pose, in my communications with others, in my eating choices, in my lifestyle choices. I will bring and be self love.

During my practice I caught myself pushing myself, and saying, you can push just a little further, straighten those legs just a little more....no self love. Love where you are. Smile for God's sake! :) and so I did and it was one of the most beautiful practices. There were lots of times I didn't love myself, one time I almost even cried because I just wanted to be able to go that little bit deeper into the pose. And that sounds silly, but I can go into this particular stretch anytime and any place and have the same feeling. There is energy attached to that muscle group that dates back to days I obviously don't remember and it is reminiscent of anger and rage and lots of sadness. I WANT to go there, to see what's there and to allow it to recieve my breath and heal itself, and it's just not happening quite yet.

Perhaps I will change that story and I've been there or have planned a trip there, it is actually already healed, I already know what's there and simply need a reminder.

But back to self love. A lovely gentleman who I will name 'Man with Pink Polished Toes' was talking about electrolytes and how awesome he felt when he put them in his water. And my thoughts went back to one particular person at camp who always said, "Um.. if people are eating properly like normal people, there should be no need to give anyone electrolytes." Which then triggered the thoughts of "What exactly did I eat today? Am I eating properly?" And if I'm being totally honest with myself, my diet has sucked lately. Not that I'm eating a tonne of junk, but that I'm just not eating much and when I do I'm lazy about what I make. So 'Man with Pink Polished Toes', thank you for the reminder to be more mindful of my eating habits and to nourish my body with both what it needs and what it wants :) Ice cream.....and Christmas cookies.....

For dessert of course...

No comments: