Friday, December 17, 2010

Dawn Treader

I'm switching up my content a bit here in that I'm going to talk about something other than yoga today. I'll give a quick recap of yesterdays practice though. It was boring. Or maybe I was boring. Or maybe I'm feeling boring right now. It's that nasty stuff that I'm sitting with right now. Another new instructor, I stood right up at the mirror and it was 'Hot Flow'...My mind was all over the place when we were in savasana and lying still and while in poses it was entirely focused on my screaming body. From my back to my knees and that tight spot in my left shoulder blade. I got up and left right after the session ended as opposed to laying there for 5-10mins and just relaxing. Two things popped into my head, I need a bit of a break from yoga (or at least this kind of yoga) or I need to figure out when the instructors I like are teaching. To be honest I think it's a bit of both.

But anyways, the other day I went and saw Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Here's the trailer


I had seen a preview for it somewhere...then passing by a bus stop this week I saw that beautiful lions head. It was as if Aslan himself was calling me to the movie. There is something majestic about that lion. Funnily enough, when I was in New Zealand we went to a park where they had lots of big cats and the lion that was used in the movie as well as to create Aslan (in the digital sense) lived there. His name was Zion. I just scoured my FB profile to find the picture I have of him and mysteriously the entire albumn has disappeared.
There were maybe 8 of us in the theatre (it was a noon show) so I scooted all the way to the top behind everyone else and enjoyed the show. I was in awe from the moment it started to the moment it ended. I only just made the connection between myself and my love for a good fantasy/fairytale story or movie. Knights, dragons, princesses, kings and queens. Talking lions and mice...or perhaps it's a ship with pirates or a tale of chivalry in ancient England. I love fantasy! It was a very little piece of the puzzle, but it explains so much about who I am, and what I'm drawn to writing, not to mention how it sounds in my head before it makes it to paper or the computer. Poetic at times, truthful and urgent at other times. Just like a good fantasy.
Beyond the fantasy land that I live in...and am creating daily :) there is such an underlying spiritual and universal message that runs through all these movies. There are two speeches in the movie that made my heart burst open, my body flood with goosebumps and a smile spread from ear to ear. Reepicheep is one wise mouse...
There are few movies that I bolt to the theatre to watch, this would be one of them. Like I said, that poster at the bus stop called me in. That majestic lion in all its glory with the blue background. By the way lions are a symbol of courage and strength, cunning power and pride. The lion is one of those animals that seems to have followed me throughout my life...I'm greatful for that.
As I walked to the bus stop on those Vancouver streets I seemed so out of place, as if I was in my own movie. Armed with my invisible sword, I knew I'd be alright. And then I realized I was in Vancouver...not Narnia. But in my life, in my world, it's all one in the same on some level...between my dreams and my reality, sometimes I wonder where one ends and the other begins.
Maybe one day I'll be in a bus stop and I'll be transported to another land...you never know! I've been waiting for someone to master teleportation for years now... ;)

2 comments:

christopherdossantos3@gmail.com said...

Namaste my sister. What is reality? We perceive body when there is no body. We perceive physical manifestation, when we know our true reality is a quantum matrix of energy. Is our perception of reality right now, not more like a movie than physicality?

What is real?

Unknown said...

Seriously wonderfully done film. Not a fan of 3D however I agree on the beautiful fantasy of the story. I am truly looking forward to watching the next ones!