Saturday, September 11, 2010

East Van and Kits...

In this part of the world, where we have a million choices we can choose to make daily, my most recent has been, "Where in Vancouver do I want to live?"

Since the first time I came out to Vancouver, I've been drawn to Kitsilano. I bought my second pair of lululemons there :) (As if that's a sign!) It has a certain appeal to it. It's lively yet relaxed and somewhat quiet, it's family oriented with a youthful flair, it's trendy if that's what you're into and if not that's OK too. I don't know if the natives of Kits would say that, but Oh Well. It's clean and sunny and the energy here is free and open. It's just a place I always find myself.

Then there's the place I've been totally unattracted to, which is East Van; Commerical Drive and Main Street. Although I've had a tea and cinnamon bun out there, it has never ever called to me. I found myself out there the other day as I met up with a guy about editing a script he's working on. (Like I said in my last post, hands in many cookie jars...) I walked all the way up Commerical Drive. I like that it was alive in that 'starving artist' sort of way with street music and creative types all over. Yet something didn't fit. Probably because starving artist is just another story and right now, I'm not into stories. I'm into powerful and conscious creation of my reality. Anyhow.

I walked into a used book store, as I often do and asked the lady where she lived. She said, "I'm between Kits and here" so I asked her where she would choose to live and she said East Van. I could honour that and then she gave her reasons why... and I'm paraphrasing here.

Kits is nice in the summer with all the patios and the beach, but it's boring otherwise and it's so trendy with that bit of snobbery that comes with money. East Van is real, it's 'alive' and so much more creative and not the norm. Like no body in Kits smokes and you come here and people smoke! I like that people smoke...it's real! But you might want to ask someone more your age what they think.

I smiled and wished her a great day and then began to ask myself what the hell that actually meant!!! Based on my perceptions of the two areas, I think what she meant was that East Van was real in that grit and grime sort of way, hard work doing your craft. But I really hope she wasn't trying to sell me on the smoking bit. lol. I suppose different strokes for different folks.

Either way as I made my way back across town I slowly began to feel lighter, more at home and more motivated to find a place in Kits than before. I asked myself a question I never thought I'd be asking myself. "In the long run, for what I'm looking to do with my life, what type of people do I want to surround myself with, where am I going to feel the most supported (by myself and others) and where am I going to be happiest living?" At the moment that decision is Kits :) Now it's time to sort out the details! So send all your positive intentions my way that I find what I'm looking for out here in Kitsilano!

And when I have my own place you're all more than welcome to crash with me! :)

No comments: