Friday, July 10, 2009

It's a Simple Life

It's been a long while since I last posted on my blog. Being on the road has certainly deterred my mind from this blog and has focused it on Lost On Purpose. It's been so much fun travelling and blogging. I never knew how creative blogging could be. I mean with videos and collages and planning adventures...the fun never stops.

Having said that, it is a different way of living. A simple way of living. One backpack, a cooler, tent and sleeping bags...and a laptop. Coming back to Vancouver was a pretty big wake up call. I over packed big time! But we had no idea what we'd be doing and how long we'd be away; and we still have no idea!

It's taught me a lot, travelling in a car, about what one really needs in this lifetime. TVs are nice, but a total distraction and sometimes a type of substance abuse. The internet is great, but too much time on it robs you of precious time to do other activities that can connect you to yourself, others or nature. A car...it is such a blessing! I am eternally greatful to have a set of wheels that is reliable and big enough to sleep in :) , but proper maintenance is a MUST! I've learned more about cars on this trip that I ever did driving my own.

Clothing can be worn and reworn and reworn...lol...maybe air it out every now and again. You really don't need much and often over pack wearing some things over and over again anyway because, "Why dirty something when you've already got stuff that's sorta dirty?" Shoes! Oh boy...flip flops and runners...on a roadtrip, there is no need for anything else! Who the hell are you going to impress in heels at a campsite?! Guys, I know you like heels, but give us travellers a bit of a break, you're lucky if I put on a pair of jeans and some make-up!

Basically, all that 'stuff' I've accumulated to decorate my non-existent future home is just that...'stuff'. It keeps me from living in the present. When you don't have all those distractions and all those material things, all you have is you and whatever is around you in that moment. And that's all you ever need..it's bliss.

No comments: